Friday, January 30, 2009

I love old books. I have started to collect them. Now, I can't say that I collect them to read...I collect them because I like the way they look. The worn-out, discolored, falling apart in your hands kind of books. But, I am becoming a more avid reader. So, I have picked up a few. I am reading this little book called..."As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen.
I haven't gotten through it yet...not because of how difficult it is or how long it is, but just because. Anyway...there are so many good things in this little old book. I was looking for a copyright date...couldn't find one. It is basically based on the aphorism..."As a man thinketh in his heart so is he." I just wanted to share a few quotes from it that I think are cool and that I needed to hear. It is amazing what you find, at the time you need it the most.

"Of all the beautiful truths pertaining to the soul which have been restored and brought to light in this age, none is more gladdening or fruitful of divine promise and confidence than this - that man is the master of thought, the moulder of character, and the maker and shaper of condition, environment, and destiny."

"The soul attracts that which it secretly harbours; that which it loves, , and also that which it fears; it reaches the height of its cherished aspirations; it falls to the level of its unchastened desires - and circumstances are the means by which the soul receives its own."

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow... half of that just went right over my head. I swear my brain is turning to mush already!

I'm glad you're getting into reading so much - that's awesome. :0) Feed that brain girl!

RR said...

You have really grown as a person over the last few years. You need to move to Olympia so we can kick 24/7 and work on home decor..my second passion besides Olivia and traveling and new medical technology!! I wanted to start a book club but then realized it would be better for me to start a movie club do you want to be VP??