Saturday, January 10, 2009

THE AFTERMATH...sounds worse than it is.
Well, we are doing just fine. Like I said to someone, "the river was knocking at our door, but we didn't let it in."
It was pretty intense for a while, but in the end, the river didn't even make it into Doug's parents house. I decided to take a little walk with my camera this afternoon, and here are a few shots of the property.
This is the field beside our house. These tractor implements were totally covered with the raging river.
~~~
If you can tell, this is now where most of our gravel is. I guess it made a nice enough path that we could just walk out to the implements without sinking into the mud.
~~~
This is right behind the garage. The picture really doesn't capture the amount of ground that was washed away.
~~~
There is a lot of nasty stuff all over the place. Including grass. The river was so strong. At one point, I opened the door just in time to see on of the kids outdoor toys being taken away. It ended up in a ditch by the neighbors house. I will have to get a picture of that later.
~~~
This is the back part of our back yard, behind my willow tree. When I went out to take these pictures, every step I took, I sunk a good 2 inches into the mud.
~~~
The out building behind our house had way more mud in it then expected. Doug and Dad pulled all of our "toys" out and were just pushing massive amounts of mud out the door.
~~~

Usually, this part of the covert is covered in, well, the driveway. I have no idea how much gravel we are going to need to replace all that was washed away.

I will be posting more pics as I take them.

My husband and father-in-law have been working all day to try and get things cleaned up. No way is it a one day job. I am just glad they are here to do it.

I know that there are a lot of people that got it so much worse than us, and my prayers will continue to be with them.

2 comments:

Susie Q said...

I like the pictures. It shows how powerful the water can be. Next time get in a raft and head our way.

Rene said...

I'm so glad your house didn't get flooded! Whew! We were out your way for a basketball tournament today and saw how high the water was around 508... WOW! That must have been scary! Glad you didn't let it in and that you're all OK!