Saturday, February 21, 2009


13.1 Miles
June 27, 2009
(a day before my 29th Birthday)
Those who know me well, know that I don't like running. It has never been something that I had a desire to do. I am more content with things like pilates, yoga, turbo jam etc... What I don't like the most about running is feeling everything jiggle and bounce around with every slap of your shoes on the ground. Not a good boost to the ol' self esteem. Anyway, I have decided to give it a chance. My friends, Stacie and Heidi have been trying to convince me to do this for a long time. I was speaking with a friend of mine on the phone the other night and he got to talking about his and his wife's addiction to marathons. And in that conversation...there was a challenge. How could I ignore a challenge? It sparked something in me. I think it's just the right time for me to do this. It's almost like I have an overwhelming need to. I won't say that I don't know why I am doing this. I know exactly why.
So, let the training commence. I only have 4 months to pound this body into shape for a 1/2 marathon...13.1 miles (maybe a full marathon once I have some experience). I hope with everything in me that this will be an experience I won't regret, that my legs will not fail me and that I will not be one of the people on the side of the course throwing up!!!
WISH ME LUCK!

10 comments:

Ali said...

GOOD LUCK!!! Way to go, running is hard on the body...get some good shoes from a running store that will fit you! I have my own opinions of people who do marathons, good for you to try the half marathon! ;) My neighbor ladies will probably be in the race with you!

Unknown said...

This is something I have been thinking about lately too! But I don't think I am brave enough...:-) I don't even know how to train for one. All I do is my treadmill at home and I know that's not enough...but anyway...good luck!

Stacie said...

Clarissa, you know how excited I am about this. I think its awesome. I can totally relate to the jiggle problem though from what I can see of you I can't imagine that being a problem. For the top regions there are amazing tie downs for those :) I can't stand that either. You are so tiny right now that it won't take anything for you to be amazing at it. I'm sure you will wipe the pavement with me. BTW-shoes are super important. I'd love to go with you to find some. I have lots of experience there now.

The Shelton's said...

You're going to run by choice? Of your own free will? Girl - is you crazy!! Give me any exercise video known to man before making me run EVER!! My boobs are way too big! Talk about some jiggle!! Um, call me soon okay!!

Susie Q said...

Wow! You are very ambitious. Good luck to you.

Unknown said...

Hey Clarissa! It's me again. I just saw you were commenting about my new fab background...well asking what site I used anyway. I was blog surfing and came across a site Dightful Dots.blogspot.com so you should go check it out and they have some totally cute stuff!

Heidi said...

I'm so excited & proud of you that you're doing this! I'm just sad I won't be doing it with you... maybe next year if you decide you actually DO love running enough to keep doing it. ;0) I'll definitely be there to support you though!

Rene said...

Wow! You go girl! Good luck, you'll do great! Me, I'd DIE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Running is crazy! I dont like to to jiggle either.

Anonymous said...

YEAH, I totally agree running isn't even in my vocabulary, the gym is one thing, but to beat your feet on pavement?? You're awesome lady! Good luck:) I'm sure you'll do well~