Friday, March 27, 2009

IT's JUST HAIR!
(or so I thought)
Several weeks ago Savannah came to me with the idea of a haircut. I didn't really think too much about it. But then, she was relentless. Almost every day since, she had been telling me that she wanted her hair cut and asking if I had made her an appointment yet. She was serious! She wanted her hair cut...and she wanted it done soon. I talked it over with her several times, making sure she was absolutely positive that she wanted to do this. Well, I finally called my friend, Tanda. And with hesitation, she agreed to do it.
The day finally came. I thought that I was OK with it, but then I started to have my doubts. I had to keep reminding myself that it was going to be so much easier to wash and comb and that it would grow out. It wasn't working very well though.

We did a little photo shoot right before we left. This actually made it even harder for me. "IT's JUST HAIR...IT's JUST HAIR!" was the thought going through my head. Savannah couldn't wait!




Goodbye curls!
(and lots of shampoo and conditioner, and tangles and tears because I never seem to comb through it soft enough...)

And so it began.

Savannah decided that she wanted to donate her hair to Locks of Love. When I told her about it, she said that she wanted her hair to go to a boy!

I couldn't help but get a little teary-eyed!

Jillian was so very curious about the whole process.



She LOVES it! She couldn't stop staring at herself in the mirror. She wants everyone to see.



(Savannah and Tanda)

And so it's gone. Over 12 inches of hair...gone. It will grow back. IT's JUST HAIR!

4 comments:

Stacie said...

I read this with a mixture of excitement and fear. I have the same feeling regarding Kinley's hair. It would be so much easier if it were shorter but I'm scared to do it. We'll see if we can follow Savannah's example any time soon. BTW-she is beautiful no matter what length her hair is. We love it too Savannah!!!

Heidi said...

Hunter was just sitting here with me while I looked through the pictures, & he said, "Oh, that's cute!"

So Savannah, you have Hunter's approval. ;0)

She looks so much older, but I love it.

Ali said...

We all have that fear when our girls want to cut their hair. I didn't know she had so much to cut off! WOW!! She's all grown up now...short sassy hair and no boy-girl sleepovers. ;)

Susie Q said...

I'm still in shock and I can only imagine how hard it was for you. She is definitly cute and looks so grown up now!