Tuesday, June 30, 2009


"The miracle isn't that I finished. It's that I had the courage to begin."

~


Some people were born to run. They have the needed desire, drive, determination and ability. I am not one of those people. I am not a runner. I remember in middle and high school, getting terrible side aches and being completely out of breath for the one mile runs that we had to do for gym class. For me, it was torture.

So, why did I do this? Why did I decide to do something that in all actuality, I hated? I asked myself the same question every day of my training. I don't know if I can come up with one solid answer.

I don't see myself as a person with drive. I am a huge procrastinator, very unmotivated, completely unorganized, highly emotional and I lack just about every domestic skill there is. There are so many things that I want to change about myself. So many things that I see in others that I wish for myself. I wanted to feel like I could do something. I never went to college. In fact, I barely graduated high school. So, at times I feel like a very unaccomplished individual.

I know that being a wife and mother are and will be the biggest accomplishments in my life. I will never doubt that. But sometimes...the desire for more is overwhelming. I needed something.

When I started out, I was miserable. I was reminded with every sound of the crunching gravel under my feet why I hated to run. I cried a lot. I had an overwhelming fear of failure. I signed up in February with the knowledge that my $85 entry fee was non-refundable, but at times I didn't care about what I spent. I wanted to quit. Shortly after I started training, I got terribly sick for about 4 weeks. I couldn't run at all. If that doesn't put a damper on your spirits, I don't know what does. It was more difficult to start again then it was to start in the beginning. But I did. And I just kept at it.

Accomplishing this goal that I set for myself has been incredible. It may not seem like that much to most people, but for me it was huge. I pushed through sore muscles, aching joints and feelings of self doubt and I did it. I crossed that finish line with more drive and determination than I have ever felt in myself before. It felt absolutely amazing.


So, maybe, just maybe...
I am a runner!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! that truly is inspiring! You are, and will forever be, my hero. I really mean that. Oh....and you're really cute too!

Anonymous said...

Nice legs!!!

RR said...

I actually got alittle teary-eyed reading this.
I'm SO proud of you!

Anonymous said...

RUN DUDE!!!

RR said...

who is this anonymous?? Seriously is that doug?

RR said...

when can you come to the gym with me? there's daycare!

Heidi said...

Girl, you are WAY too hard on yourself. You are amazing at so many things that you're apparently forgetting! I am so incredibly proud of you & I'm SO glad I was able to be there with you. YOU ROCK!!

Heidi said...

Oh, and you are awesome with words... you should just about print that out & frame it! ;0)

Ali said...

That was beautiful and I have to agree with Heidi. The one thing you must be is forgetful. You've always seemed so motivated to me and I'm so proud of you. This was really a big deal. Great job!

The Shelton's said...

Girlfriend!! You rock and you roll!! I'm so proud of you for setting a goal and accomplishing it!! I very OFTEN feel the same way about so many things in my life so be sure to call if you need to talk because I get it. I will be headed your way on the 16th so save some time for me!!

BJ Barnes said...

I wonder who you're talking about! The Clarissa I know is very accomplished and talented!! You've got class; style; elegance; a striking attractiveness many women probably covet; a voice that is so lovely and tender that it melts hearts; you're caring; honest; creative with words; humble; a wonderful mother; and are sensitive to The Spirit, which may be your best quality of all!! :) Borrowing a phrase from a song -"To know you is to love you!" :)
And now that you've forced yourself to accomplish this run, we must add - determined; and courageous!! :) Oh yes, and FIT! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Clarissa!!! Guess I'll keep seeing you out at the track??
You are an inspiration to many people including me and my family!
Dee Dee A

Tiffinie said...

Sissy,
as i sit here with tears running down my cheeks, I thank Heavenly Father for blessing my life with you and how lucky I am to have you as a sister. You are sooo amazing. You are my hero!