Monday, June 15, 2009

Conquering Mountains
(OK...so they were hills, but they FELT like mountains)
Sound to Narrows 12k
7.46 miles

This past Saturday was my very first race on my way to the 1/2 marathon. The day started out really early and hectic. Trying to get all of us out of the house by 6:15 in the morning was interesting. The run was in Tacoma so I wanted plenty of time and didn't want to feel rushed. On the way up there, Jillian vomited all over herself. PERFECT! So instead of the fam coming with me to get all situated and watch me start, they dropped me off and headed to Target to get some clearance rack clothes for Jilli.
After that, Doug tried really hard to catch me at different points of the course...wasn't very successful because all of the roads were blocked off.
He was able to snap a picture of the back of my head. Can you see me? I am behind the tall guy in the blue shirt.
After driving all over the place, Doug was scrambling to get to the finish line. Payton decided to take a few pics.

This is my favorite one...CLASSIC!!



Yeah, this is me right after I finished. I felt really good. I was able to run the entire time, even up the crazy hills!!!! My official time was 1:24...which isn't anything spectacular, but I was more than OK with what I put into it.

It was a pretty incredible experience for me. When I made that final turn and knew the finish line was right there, I got a little emotional, felt an insane amount of adrenaline pump through my entire body and gave it everything I had to finish strong. Yeah..it rocked!
After finding the family, cooling down a bit, it was time for some relaxing and stretching. When I took my shoes off, I realized that I had put my right sock on wrong side out. Doug told me that since I did so good and felt awesome, I would have to do that from now on...as a good luck thing!



My friend, Rachel, was the one that invited me to do this race. She did amazing...really amazing!!
~
Now....only 12 days till the big one!!!

10 comments:

RR said...

So I think that you look so hot in spandex. I know its weird but true. You did so awesome. I know how hard it is to run. I was waiting to see some pictures of you. Next year I'll make sure to tell the camera crews that we want some good ones of us. Did you get my other note about Disneyland??

RR said...

You've gotten so thin these last few months. When I see pictures of you I'm like where is the real Clarissa!

RR said...

You did Awesome!

Stacie said...

Clarissa, I'm so proud of you. As you described your feelings of emotion and excitement I totally know how it feels. It's hard to describe that to someone who hasn't experienced it. I'm so glad I can share that with you. I'm totally looking forward to Seattle and knowing you will be there too. I'm also extremely nervous. All I know is that you look AMAZING!!! Seriously, I wish I looked that good after a run. You are going to do great. Just think, in two weeks it will all be over.

BJ Barnes said...

Way to go Clarissa!! :) I was surprised when you said that photo was taken when you'd finished the run! I thought sure it was you before you started!! How do you DO that? If I run my face gets all red. You looked rested and ready to begin!! :) Good luck to you on your "big run"! Somehow I think you're going to do just fine! :)

The Shelton's said...

Again, just trying to understand you people who run for pleasure. Don't get it and probably never will, but girl you do look hot. Maybe I won't come home in July because then I have to walk around with all that hotness. Toodles!!

Heidi said...

I am SO incredibly proud of you. I knew you could do it, but it's awesome to actually see you accomplish this after all the hard work you've put in. I just hope I can keep up with you when I start running again! ;0)

Ali said...

You're awesome!!! And yes, you look way too fabulous to have just finished a race! You're going to do awesome in two weeks. Good job!

Unknown said...

I wish I looked that hot in spandex! I have jeoulousy seeping out of my bones....lol. Good job! Maybe one of these days I'll be ready for a run like this. I think I definatly need to the encouragement first...lol...cuz running is not my choice of fun!

Clarissa said...

All of you are crazy! But I love it. Thanks for all of your encouraging words. I need them.