Monday, October 20, 2008

Time Out for Women...Time Out for ME!!
(Brace yourselves, this is going to be a long one).
I learned something this past weekend...FAN is an acronym for Friend And Neighbor. I am glad that the silly Mary Ellen Edmunds explained that to us because I was feeling more like a "stalker" kind of fan.
This was my 3rd year at Time Out for Women and it won't be my last. I had such an amazing time. For those of you who don't know what it is, here is a short explanation.
It is an opportunity for women to get together and feel "spiritually revived" on more than a Sunday church level. There are inspirational speakers and musical performers that will bring you to tears. (In M.E.E.'s case, they were tears of laughter). It was so informative and inspiring. I walked away from it not feeling like I was lacking in any way, just inspired to try and be a better person in every way. I took so many notes, I just wish that I could remember absolutely everything.
Holly, Nanci (Katherine), Dawn, Eileen, Becki, Heidi, Me, Brenda


We got there kind of early, so we were able to "schmooze" with Kenneth Cope. He is super, super nice and he performed Friday and a lot on Saturday.



Diamond Rio Dan is what the band members call him. Dan Truman IS actually a part of Diamond Rio and was super nice to take a picture with us, and along with everyone else, autograph our tickets. (That is why I was feeling more like a "stalker" fan).




JASON DEERE is awesome. I don't know if I have ever been around someone who has such an overwhelming testimony of Joseph Smith. Him and his band performed songs from their CDs "Nashville Tribute to the Prophet" and "The Trek."

Chieko Okazaki was the only speaker on Friday night. But she was good. She spoke about how to teach our children correct principles and allow them to govern themselves. I am sure that there will be hundreds of families implementing the "Discussion Chairs" now.


After a near sleepless night, we were up and at em'. We headed inside and had plenty of time to do more "schmoozing." Nanci wanted to have Katherine's picture taken with Kenneth Cope and he was more than happy to comply. (She also had a pic taken with Jason Deere the night before). She became a very famous baby while we were there. Nanci has a lot of pictures to put in her baby book.




Seeing as there were about 1800 women there, we were bound to run into people that we knew. Above is our friend Dennese Mahoney from Olympia and below is Stacey, Janel, and Leanne from Adna. There were a few others, they just didn't get their pictures taken.









Ironically, I had just started listening to a few of Cherie Calls songs. She had to fill in for someone else that was scheduled to be there that got sick. I really enjoyed her music. She writes a lot of her songs from very particular and personal experiences, which I think was amazing.



This lady, Camille Fronk Olson was pretty dang cool. She is a master scriptorian and just so dang nice. She talked to us about having our own Book of Psalms. Heidi and I both had the chance to share a few things with her, and she was awesome enough to give her email address. I think it will be awesome to have someone who is so deeply rooted in the scriptures to answer some of our questions. I am way excited about that.
There were a few others that I didn't get pictures with, Elia Gourgouris, Emily Watts and Mary Ellen Edmunds.
Some of the other things I learned this past weekend.....
You teach correct principles by precept and example.
Doing right is more important than being right.
(Chieko Okazaki)
"The Gospel of Jesus Christ is not insurance against pain, it is a resource in the event of pain."
We don't get to control other peoples (our kids in particular) reaction to things, but we do get to control our own.
We need to stop feeling guilty about the things we have no control over.
A funny thing Emily Watts said to her kids; "I give you the gift of an imperfect mother so you don't enter into marriage with unrealistic expectations."
Don't misjudge or miscalculate someone else's life.
God gave us weaknesses so we can become humble.
When the Lord chastens us, he purifies us.
Psalms 30:5 "...weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."
You can study the scriptures better when it ceases to be a duty and it becomes a privilege.
(Camille Fronk Olson)
We need to listen to others with our "3rd ear"...the spirit.
Trust, communication, forgiveness and love are keys concepts in improving relationships.
Forgiveness is for the brave.
We should learn to speak one anothers love language.
If we truly love someone we need to show it in the way they need it.
"Ask not what this relationship can do for you; but what you can do for this relationship."
(Elia Gourgouis ~ More Joyful Relationships)
Joy comes by working to be a peacemaker.
JURU = Expert
SELAMAT = Peace
Jesus is the "Expert of Peace"
Peace is for the peacemaker. Kindness is for the kind. Merci is for the merciful.
We should try to control our "natural reactions" to things.
(Mary Ellen Edmunds)
These are just some of the things that I wrote down. I had a wonderful weekend and I am excited to do it all again.





1 comment:

RR said...

Hi mama..I really need to do the time out for Women thing. I haven't heard of it until now. Love the pictures. I forgot how hot Nancy is. She looks really good in the picture where she's wearing black. Looks like you and Heidi had a good time. We need to plan a double date soon.