Saturday, August 14, 2010

PUT A CAP ON IT

So after posting "For Those Who Can't Swim," I asked myself this question..."WHY can't you learn?"  I've asked this question before.  I have even talked to my friend, Brook about giving me lessons.  She used to be an instructor and on her high school swim team.  She always told me "Of course I will teach you how to swim."  But you know how most things go...they just, don't.  Well I made up my mind that I was tired of not knowing how to do it.  Now, I'm OK in the water.  I don't totally avoid it and can dog paddle my way around most small/shallow bodies of water.  (Wow, that sounded pathetic.) But...that needed to change.  I texted Coach Brook, told her how serious I was about it and we were in the Thorbeck's pool that night.  We could only go during 'open swim' time.  Which meant we were in the pool with all these kids who were swimming circles around me, splashing around and staring at the old lady trying not to drown. 

Brook was awesome.  She taught me how to tread water, (I'm too tense), she taught me to put my head back more while doing the back stroke, she taught me the proper freestyle stroke.  And she tried to teach me the breast stroke.  That will have to come much later....my coordination is lacking for that.  I have to admit, I did much better than I thought I would.  I could actually propel myself forward.  It was kind of funny though, when I kept propelling myself into those lane dividers.  Besides the head wounds from the dividers and my pride being a little deflated in front of those kids...I walked away feeling pretty good about how I did.
I was feeling so good, actually, that I stopped by Big 5, bought a swim suit and a pair of goggles and tried to get well rested to go back to the pool at 5:30 A.M.  The well rested part didn't really work.
But I got my tired buns out of my warm, comfortable bed and headed out in the dark.  I walked in, still very groggy but determined.  After a few more instructions and some observation, Brook went over to her lane to do her thang.  OH MY GOODNESS, can this girl swim!!!  It's actually quite beautiful to watch.  She literally looks like she is floating on the water, barely splashing and so incredibly graceful. 

So, the whole feeling good about myself diminished pretty quickly upon doing laps. I don't really know what I look like while swimming, but I feel like I'm doing it all wrong.  Having a little lesson and then trying to actually swim laps...Yikes.  SWIMMING IS HARD.  You use every muscle in your body.  It's amazing how tired I am just after one lap.  ( A Length = one time down. A Lap = one time down and back.) For me right now, there is so much to think about.  My stroke, kicking, breathing, trying not to swallow the entire pool!!   My biggest worry is breathing.  I have to figure that perfect rhythm out soon, because I find myself taking in a lot of water and getting a little panicky.  But...all in good time.

I felt excited to get back in there on Friday morning.  Brook had to work, so I went at it alone.  It went...fine. I tried different things with my breathing,  still need to practice.  One thing that I didn't pick up while acquiring my swimming gear is a swimmers CAP!  OK...I have found that this is a must.  My hair is everywhere.  I got so frustrated with it that I asked the life guard if they sold any caps there.  He told me that HE couldn't sell me one and since it was 5:45 in the morning, no one that could sell me one would even be there until 8.  But he felt sorry for me and actually loaned me his.  Thank you Mr. Life Guard sir.  It made a HUGE difference.  So, now I must go purchase this thing and 'put a cap' on this crazy head of hair.

One of the best things so far...I don't get nervous at the deep end of the pool.  These few times in the water have already made it better for me. YAY!!

5 comments:

BJ Barnes said...

I'm so amazed by, and feel so proud of, you! :) There's nothing you can't do when you set your mind to it!!! :) You are so Brave!! :) Way To Go!! :)

Unknown said...

First off, check out your buff arms! Swimmer arms? Yes! Rad suit! Narly goggles. Amazing coach...OF COURSE! lol. had to add that one in there. I am loving this whole swimming thing with you. It's fun cuz you are better than you think you are and it will be fun to watch your confidence build. :-) You'll be joining me on a Masters team in no time! Love ya!

Ali said...

Good for you! I can tread water forever but haven't had much of a desire to learn the strokes in my old age. Mostly because when I tried (once) I got so tired so fast. Swimming wears you out! I'm impressed you keep going back for more. Keep it up.

track coach and adorable wife said...

So does this mean you will be Tri-ing soon?

Rachael said...

thats so cool! im not a very strong swimmer, so this is inspiring!