Monday, October 24, 2011

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY!


Thursday was D's birthday.  He doesn't like birthdays very much.  He has been dreading this one in particular.  35 seemed awful to him.  He has heard many things about 35 being an age where it just goes down hill from then on.  I think he is silly.  But, hey, I might feel the same as he does 4 years from now.
No party thrown.  No big to do.  He just wanted low key and what every other male wants for his birthday...  So I tried to oblige him as much as possible.


(Us last year in Hawaii...which I realized I never blogged about.)


It was a thrilling birthday for him.  After our typical morning rituals we headed to the scrap metal place in Portland.  I know, I know.  We are quit the adventurers.  Seeing as we were hauling about 2 1/2 tons of tractor implements and old appliances...it was an adventure.
We then stopped at PARKER'S in Longview.  This place has the best artichoke, jalapeno cheese fondue!!  They serve it with little pieces of toasted bread.  Delish! We walked out of there about 10 pounds heavier and in some pain!
When we finally got home we took off for the blood drive.  Yep, my husband gave blood on his birthday!  I usually do too, but because I am with child, they didn't want my blood. So, I just hung out with the kids and waited.  Then it was a race to get home so I could change and come back to the church for my stake meeting.  Bummer deal on D's day.  But he understood and stayed with the kids, enjoyed dinner and cinnamon rolls (courtesy of his sister Nanci and his Mom) and then put the kids to bed.  But then we reunited after my meeting and headed to Applebee's for some late night hot wings with some fantastic friends.  I was still stuffed from lunch, so I didn't eat too much!
Then it was home to, um....go to bed??



I wrote a little poem which Doug thought I should share on my little blog.  He thought it was hilarious!


My sweetie, my lovely
My Douglas delight.
Here we are again on your
Brisk birthday night.

For 35 years
This world has been blessed
By you and your charm
Simply the Best.

We won't mention the labor
Your mother went through
Or the things that you did
When you were just two.

The hair or the shiner
In your kindergarten pic
Or any of those years
Where you looked pretty slick.

We won't talk about all
Those years that you drooled
Or slept walked leaving stains
Where your urine had pooled.

With your neighbor those times
When doctor you'd play
The mischief you'd create on
That hill made of clay.

Or as you got older
Those joy rides you'd take
Let's not talk about those
No no...for goodness sake.

Oh those ventures in cars
Your LUV and dirt bikes
We won't mention those OR
ALL the girls that you liked.

Let's move on to the years
Where things just got better
And you prepared yourself
For your mission letter.

The best two years of your life
You have said
Lots of shoes you wore out
Lots of scriptures you read.

And of course that lead to
THE GREATEST DECISION OF YOUR LIFE
And that is when you
Chose me as your wife!

The last 14 birthdays
Together we've spent
And each one that passes
Proves more, you're heaven sent.

The boy that you were
And the man you've become
I love every bit
YES ALL...not just some.

This world is indeed
A more awesome place
Since the moment you came
With that handsome face.

I love you my sweetie
My Douglas delight
Happy 35th to you
Let's finish celebrating this night!
(wink wink)

5 comments:

Carlie K said...

My husband is your biggest fan and quite appreciative of the complete way you celebrate your man's birthday. He says you "understand." Good girl!

Ali said...

Happy Birthday Doug! That is just the cutest poem!!!

Jaimie said...

Sounds like he had the greatest birthday a guy could ask for!!
You are so gosh dang creative I love it!! You're awesome!!

RR said...

Your writings fabulous!

Happy Birthday D!

RR said...

plus..you look hot!