Monday, October 3, 2011

Apple Harvest and Planking

So, last year D and I did the Onalaska Apple Harvest 8K (5 mile) run.  We both finished with pretty 'turtle-ish' times.  But we were determined to come back this year and do better.
Well, seeing as I didn't actually run the 5 miles, I will have to push that goal back to next year.  Having gotten home around 1a.m. from the temple the night (or morning) before, we almost didn't make it to the 8:30a.m. race.  But we drug ourselves out of our beds and our eyes were almost open by the time we got there to register...10 minutes before it started.  We figured it would be fine.  Not like it's some crazy, high attendance race or anything.  It's Onalaska, people!
I did, however do the 2 mile walk.  They had a little apple plaque for the top walker.  When I saw that, I got a little excited.  For some strange, somewhat unrealistic reason, I thought for a minute that maybe I could win it.  Don't laugh.  But as soon as the walking began, that thought was blown out of the water by this super speed walker lady in bright pink.  She took off...and I didn't see her again.  I shrugged my shoulders and thought maybe I could talk them into having a 'top pregnant lady walker' category.  I just walked along side my friend, Jill, as we complained about different pains that were stabbing us.  Sadly, both of us were soar the next day.  Hey...we walked at a pretty good pace and worked our hips, I promise.

D, on the other hand did great on his run!  His improvement from where he was last year still really impresses me.  His finish time last year was 57 min and some change.  (Behind my finish of 56:48...or something like that).  This year he came in at 43:57.  That is a 14 minute difference.  So proud of my man!  The competition was a little more intense this year, so instead of getting 1st in his age division, he got 3rd.  Still a 'podium finish' he says.  AND we both won stuff at the drawing.  He won a $10 gift certificate to Buzz N Blooms (a local flower, hair salon, coffee, tanning, shop) and I won a $25 gift certificate to Outback Stake House.  So much better than our last year's prize of a coffee mug!  A few of our friends that ran with us last year and some first timers were there and did amazing, with first place plaques and age division wins.  And of course, drawing prizes.  Hope Ron is enjoying his new Onalaska Loggers jacket.  Have you washed it yet?? ;)

Unfortunately, we had to take Payton to his soccer game in Rochester so we didn't stick around for the Apple Harvest Festivities.  We got home from the game, watched the 2nd session of conference and then vegged out a bit.  D headed to the Priesthood session (they have dinner before the broadcast) around 3:45.  I finally decided to take my aching hips and the kids to see what was left of the festival.  We got there and all that was there was, a bluegrass band playing it's final songs, ponies no longer giving rides and lots of trash.  My kids were bummed.  But, we did run into some friends and we ALL practiced our 'PLANKING' skills.  It was pretty hilarious.  Did it make up for missing the parade, the petting zoo, rock wall, pony rides, face painting, karaoke, arts and crafts, apple pressing, and elephant ears??  Probably not for them.  But I laughed so hard that evening, it was worth it to me.

 






This might just be our new family hobby.

No comments: