Wednesday, September 15, 2010

One DOZEN!!
There are a few things that come in dozens.  Eggs, for example...and doughnuts.  And now, our marriage!!
(I guess it doesn't actually come in a dozen...we've had to work for that.)
Doug and I celebrated our anniversary on September 11th.  The song you hopefully hear playing is the song we had our first dance to.  "To Make You Feel My Love"
Awe...sweet memories.


Yes, I can easily be all cheesy and say that these have been the best 12 years of my life.  That I am incomplete without this man beside me.  That he is my very best friend and my partner in crime.  He makes me laugh so much and makes me feel beautiful every single day.  I could go on and on.  I love being married to him.  I love the life we have together.
Here is just a short list of why...

A DOzEN of my FAV'S about BEiNG MARRiED to Douglas

1.  Comfortable Silence
The awesomeness of no pressure to converse with each other all the time to try and make ourselves seem more interesting or impress one another.

2. Telepathic Messages
Doug and I have this one joke (and he knows what I'm talking about) where we can just look at each other and know exactly what the other one is thinking.

3. Butterfly Moments
Yep...even after 12 years those butterflies in the tummy and chills up the spine still happen. This makes me smile.

4.  Quick Forgiveness
I don't know why...but Doug can never stay mad at me.  Maybe it's my sparkling personality, or the fact that if he doesn't just forgive me of my silliness and move on it would be much harder to live with me.  I do think this is finally wearing off on me though.  I tend to let things go faster and not hold a grudge as long.

5.  Brutal Honesty
Even though it hurts a little, we can ask the dreaded question "Do these jeans make me look fat?"  And answer honestly without the other one freaking out.  Truth is, we don't want the other one looking terrible, so we are going to tell each other if we do.

6.  Exchanging Favors
Well...I'm not sure if I should go into details about this one.  Let's just say it's sort of like "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine." 

7.  Athletic Supporters
Nope...not that kind. 
To me, Doug is the best dirt bike riding, Wednesday night basketball playing, fast running male around.  And to him, I'm the best running, duathleteing, yoga, pilates twisting woman around.
(In all actuality we are not.  But why would we think any differently of each other?)

8.  Sharing the Load
Most people know that Doug does the cooking in this household.  A long time ago we just decided that I would keep the house clean and he would take care of the dinner.  (Because apparently I am not a normal housewife that can do both.)  Most husbands that hear this think..."Dude, that stinks."  And most wives that hear this think, "Umm...are you serious?  That's awesome."
The only problem with this is when I don't get or keep the house clean...we still have to eat.  So Doug comes home to a messy house and he still has to make the dinner!!

9.  Love Languages
Knowing each others love languages is key in our relationship.  My love language is Words of Affirmation.  I love Doug to tell me how wonderful he thinks I am.  I love for him to notice when I have gone out of my way to do something and then have him say something about it.  Let me tell you...he is excellent at fulfilling this.  His love language, on the other hand is...Physical Touch.  He's a guy, enough said.  And I'm sure that he could tell you that I could be better at this!!

10.  Communication
We talk on the phone several times a day, text each other, leave each other little notes.  How mushy is that?  I don't care.  Bring on the mush. 

11.  Parental Control
This whole parenting thing is hard.  I'm glad that I have someone more level-headed then myself to figure this out with.  And I can't imagine figuring it out with anyone else.

12.  L.O.V.E.
I love being loved.  I love loving someone as much as I do Doug.  We have had some rough spots and challenges in this little relationship of ours.  But we have got up, brushed off the dirt and kept going.  And we will keep on going.  At least for another 12 years. 
Doug told me that he is ready to sign up for the next 12.  I said that he better be ready to sign up for more than that.  His response..."I am.  But I'm only signing up for 12 year terms.  That way I can renegotiate my contract."

Hmmm...maybe I should start cooking more often.

4 comments:

Ali said...

Your mushiness is cute. Congrats you little love birds.

~ My 3 sOnS ~ said...

Congrats you two!! we are right behind you....our 12 years is in December. Heres to another 12 year term:) Love you<3!!

Jaimie said...

Yeah!! I think that is amazing! Keep it up! 。◕‿◕。

BJ Barnes said...

You two are a great couple!! :) I love you both!! :)