Wednesday, November 11, 2009

~My Veteran...My Grandad~

Every Veteran's Day the first person that comes to my mind is my Grandad!! Charles Bud Sumner. He is and always will be a Marine. He takes great pride in being one. He served during WWII and was stationed in New Caledonia (Fiji Islands), Guadalcanal and Eniwetok (Solomon Islands), Talogee (Marshall Islands), the Carolina Islands, and Okinawa, Japan. He saw so many horrible things. They got word over the radio that the war was over on the evening of his 21st birthday.

At 86 years old, the Marine pride still runs strong through this man's veins. He is a part of the Marine Core League and the American Legion in Alamosa, Colorado. He and my mom attended a Marine Core dinner last night, where he was the oldest Marine there. Him and the youngest Marine cut the cake. He was also in the local Veteran's Day parade this morning and will be attending an American Legion dinner tonight.
I just wanted to tell him, thank you my sweet Grandad for being one of the few, and one of the proud. Semper Fi (Forever Faithful)!
I love you.

5 comments:

Rene said...

Thanks for sharing about your grandfather. Marines are Marines through and through, aren't they? Every marine I've ever known is proud to be one!

Susie Q said...

Your Gramps is one tough dude!

BJ Barnes said...

I so enjoyed this post! You can tell your grandpa thanks from me, too! :)

RR said...

Tell me more sister! I love a story. Did your grandad retire from the marine core or just do a few years? Is grandad your grandfather or your mom's grandfather? I wasn't sure. Semper Fi..when is your next trip to Colorado? Will your mom come here for the holidays?

RR said...

I love the pictures. Your grandad is so thin and handsome!