Wednesday, March 9, 2011

THE SELF DOUBT MONSTER

I know we have all met him.  He's not the kind of monster that hides under your bed or in your closet.  He follows very stealthily behind you and waits for those moments when you feel the least bit confident.  He has been my shadow this past week.  And he made his presence very well known yesterday.

I started running again last week.  I was dreading starting up for fear of the tantrum my body would throw and the fact that my head might spin enough to send me into unconscious mode.  Unconsciousness avoided...but TANTRUM thrown!  I know that not running or doing anything physically challenging for almost 4 months would obviously do something to my fitness level.  But HOLY HEAVY LEGS BATMAN!!  It was hard to pick those suckers off the pavement...stride after stride.  I made it 2 miles and some change.  Better than my very first attempt last time I started training for a half marathon.  So, I am already ahead of my previous game.  But just like before, I am questioning my decision to do this.  I signed up to do the Rock and Roll Seattle Half Marathon again and I'm feeling a bit crazy.  I felt great about wanting to do it...until I started running again. My husband signed up too and is doing fantastic.  We have gone on a few runs together.  I use the term "together" very loosely.  I am running so slow right now that he and the others we have been running with leave me in their dust.  Which, in all actuality is very disheartening for me.  I wish that it didn't bother me, but it does.  So, I am left with my 'self doubt monster' as my training partner.  He is not encouraging at all.  He feels my head with questions like,  "Why are you doing this again?"  "Do you really think you can do this?"  "You are a joke.  Look at how slow you are going.  You can barely make it 2 miles, do you really think that 13.1 is possible?"  What a meany-head.  He is very persuasive and makes some excellent points.  But I will say that I continue to run even through all that.  He is strong...but I am stronger???

On to yesterdays 'monster' encounter.  I wrote something for a friend a few weeks ago which turned out pretty dang cute if I do say so myself.  Well, upon sharing it with another friend she gave me the idea of trying to get it published.  Just the thought of the possibility feels me with giddiness and excitement.  The more we talked about it the more I was gung ho about going for it.  But then...dun, dun, dun...the monster came.  "Why on earth would you think someone would want to publish this?"  "You are going to get rejected over and over, so why bother?"  "You have got to be kidding yourself that anyone would be interested in buying this!"  See...meany-head!  I do argue with him.  I say "What if they do like it?  What if it does get published and people like it and want to buy it?  This could actually happen!"  "And even if it doesn't, oh well, at least I gave it a shot."  It's been a pretty intense battle.  I want to believe myself.  I want to believe IN myself.  I AM capable of accomplishing things.  But...the monster is so much easier to believe. 

So the battle continues.  But I'm promising to not go down without a fight.  Maybe I'll find a good running path where I can lose him.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow... Tell him to shut it. He apparently doesn't know you very well if he thinks you can't... Meany-head indeed. You ARE stronger and you CAN do it. If I find out this 'self doubt monster' talks you out of getting that amazing book published, I'm gonna be really sad. :0(

(BTW, I have one of those too... I guess I better work on telling mine to get lost...)

BJ Barnes said...

Oh Yes, I know just what you mean because, as you said, we all have that monster on our heels!
After the serious accident you experienced, it may take some time to be able to run like the wind again, but it Will happen! The important thing is to rejoice in your victories along that painful journey back! :) You are wise to see how well you've improved since your first attempt! :) I'm excited about your writing opportunity!! Go For It!!! :) As successful of a person as you are, I won't be one bit surprised at seeing you roll out countless other successes in your beautiful life! :) Love Ya! :)

Melia Hunt said...

You're amazing! I think everyone has their own "self-doubt monster", so you're not alone in that category. I BELIEVE IN YOU! I say go for publishing! I'd love to own something that has you as the author :) -Melia

Ali said...

You can do it all and you always do! Go for the publishing, I actually have a friend who is having a book published this year and you'll have to check out this really cool article http://www.businessinsider.com/amanda-hocking-2011-2. Good luck with it all. You'll get the running back but do give yourself a break, you've had quite the year.

RR said...

Good Luck..

You can do hard things!!

I always watch biggest loser and tell myself if a 400 lbs person can run 26.2 I can do 3 today!

Jaimie said...

You are so awesome at everything you do!! Of anyone YOU can do it!
You never know unless you try! And you of all will succeed!!
You're a rock star!! ;O)

Love ya!