Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I've Gone INSANE!

Yes, it's official!  I'm insane...metaphorically speaking. 
So, I had a baby and gained a lot of weight.  54 lbs to be exact.  7 weeks after having said baby I had lost 24 lbs of intial after birth weight and was miserable.  So I strapped on my sports bra and started working out.  I was doing my old Turbo Jam and Pilates combination.  I threw a few other things into the mix like running and riding my bike.  I decided I was tired of my old stuff and went to Target and got some Jillian Micheals dvd's.  They turned out to be pretty good actually.  I ended up losing about 10 pounds through all that.  But then Doug and I had a 'crazy' idea while watching the boob tube one night.  We were intrigued and drawn into the world of Insanity.  We watched the infomercial, which we had seen before, with a more serious desire.  We wanted to be one of the success stories.  We wanted to look like all those people and we wanted that tshirt!  I ordered it the next day.  And so our 60 days of madness began the following Monday.  Let me tell you that it's even harder than it looks on t.v.  Granted I wasn't in the best of shape when starting, but still.  It was evident that this was going to really push me...and then some. 


Before every workout there is a lengthy 'warning' about how intense this really is.  It basically says you should know that this might kill you, so don't do it if you're not ready.  That's not scary...
Unless you do this work out yourself, it's hard to understand what it is like.  I honestly have never sweat like this before.  The sweat wasn't dripping off of me, it was running off of me. The workouts had to be moved into the dinning room so the sweat could be mopped up instead of soaking into the family room carpet.  Shaun T (the instructor) would be yelled at on a daily basis and if I was a swearing person a few cuss words would have been directed at him.  But, I learned to love the man and appreciate all his dedication and 'dig deeper' comments...sort of!  Surprisingly enough, even with how hard and completely exhausting each day was, I felt totally energized and would follow most workouts with a quick 1 mile run!  Upon completing month 1 and a recovery week, I had lost 6 pounds and I felt like I had gotten much stronger and was optimistic about month 2.  Until I started month 2.  'Stupid' is the word I used to describe these torture filled DVDs.  There were brief moments when I wanted to quit.  But I had made a commitment, spent the money and didn't want to walk away and kick myself later.  And to be honest, it became a little addicting.  I needed to do this every day, 6 days a week.  I needed to be totally drenched in sweat for self evidence that I was working my tail off. 
Now, wanting the results I did, I knew that I would have to be a lot more careful with what I was eating.  I didn't perfect any special eating habits.  I just changed some things.  I can exercise until I am blue in the face, but eating healthy is where I totally fail!  I love donuts, candy, pastries!  JUNK FOOD JUNKIE right here!  But, I gave up sugars and white flour foods.  Started eating real butter instead of margarine, all natural Adams peanut butter instead of JIF.  I just tried to be more aware and make healthier choices.  Water has always been my drink of choice...so lots of that.  Eating less, eating smarter and eating slower.  Nothing crazy but enough to make a difference.  Baby steps people! 

After 60 days and a few near death experiences I finished!  I lost 13 pounds all together and didn't keep track of the inches lost (which I am wishing I would have now).  The results aren't mind blowing and frankly I have so much farther to go to be where I want to be.  But it's progress.  

You start with a fit test and then do one every 2 weeks to track your progress.  I can't really explain what the exercises are but I will tell you the name and the number of my first and last fit tests just so you can see the progress.

                                       
SWITCH KICKS: First Fit Test - 57  Last Fit Test - 64
POWER JACKS: First Fit Test - 26  Last Fit Test - 62 
POWER KNEES: First Fit Test - 80  Last Fit Test - 121
POWER JUMPS: First Fit Test - 17  Last Fit Test - 60
GLOBE JUMPS: First Fit Test - 6  Last Fit Test - 11
SUICIDE JUMPS: First Fit Test - 11  Last Fit Test - 16
PUSH-UP JACKS: First Fit Test - 8  Last Fit Test - 26
LOW PLANK OBLIQUE: First Fit Test - 40  Last Fit Test - 77

I am very nervously and reluctantly posting my before and after pics.  Be nice.  


                                           BEFORE
                      (Please excuse the white belly
                        that has not seen the sun)                                

                                         BEFORE

                                          BEFORE



Fortunately, I had a few little helpers during this.  All the kids (and of course Doug) pitched in to take care of Vivienne if she would wake up or need attention while I was working out.  Couldn't have done it without them.
Of the 54 pounds gained during my pregnancy, I have lost 47.  Only 7 more to go and a whole lot of toning!!  Wish me luck on round 2.  That's right.  I'm doing it again!


Here's to the next 60 days!!

7 comments:

Anna said...

You're awesome! I'm SO impressed that you did the whole 60 days! I've watched the infomercial and thought there's no way I'm athletic enough to attempt the program. That's incredible that you've lost 47 pounds! Good luck with the final 7!

~ My 3 sOnS ~ said...

You look amazing!!!! Love You!!

Ali said...

Of course you could do it! Way to go, I can't imagine how proud of yourself you must be. You look fabulous too!

Carlie K said...

One hot mama!DIG DEEPER!

BJ Barnes said...

Way To Go Clarissa!!!! :) What a shining example you are!!!! :) You're even motivating me to want to start exercising again!! :) I want to grab onto your jet stream and go along for the ride! :)

RR said...

You are amazing! Can Savannah live with me for 60 days..ha?

Love your girls!

Jaimie said...

You're a rock star!! WOW! How do I find your dedication!! Keep going chicka!!!